Monday, December 22, 2008

College Memories part-2

College may be a place students come to enhance their knowledge and to learn new things. According to my perception college life not only teaches us about the subjects and acads but also sometimes creates an emotional network between friends. The emotional element which I am talking is not only between friends but also between lecturers and students. During the second year 2nd semester of our engineering we were informed that a renowned lecturer named Padmanabam would be teaching us Fluid Mechanics. And as usual we didn’t have an idea of what the subject is about nor about the lecturer. Padmanabam had a peculiar way of teaching, he used to explain the concepts very well with worldly examples and of course even he had a habit like other lecturers to ask questions in the middle of the session. We generally had no interest with lectures and stuff but don know what happened that day not only me everyone started listening to the session with interest. Suddenly he stopped the lecture and pointed at me I was a bit tensed but later got to know that it was for the person sitting behind me. Padmanabam had a strange voice and when he was angry or he scolded anyone he would utter only one sentence “ Stand up and Get Out” but the voice of him made us laugh but we controlled very hard as we would be out of the class if we didn’t.

The fluid mechanics lab was a bit interesting having opportunity to see machinery and performing various experiments on the fluids like engine oil flowing inside the machine. But I still remember the day when Padmanabam sir gave a set of assignments to us and asked us to complete it by Friday morning. The day came when we should submit the assignments and we also know how the consequences would be if we hadn’t done. I was a bit frustrated that day as I had completed only 80 per of the work. One of my classmate went to show his work to his cabin and the next was my turn and when he came back I asked him what did the sir say, he replied that he indeed scolded him for not writing the assignment neatly and in order. Immediately I criticized sir to be a perfectionist and doing a bit more than what he actually is. Unfortunately the sir listened to what all I said and he asked to meet the principal for giving the explanation for the same. I didn’t recognize until then that the bond between me and princi was so deep that for every single thing I would be sent to him. And this time it is not going to be taken easy because already my cell phone was there with him and now if I go again to him he would ask me to call my parents to meet him, somehow I requested the sir to excuse me for what all I said, he insisted me not to attend his class for a week and I did obey him and escaped from there.

‘Juniors’ not a new term for us as we have already undergone that stage and now it is our turn to show our strength. But our batch was more interested on the girls who newly joined the college rather than ragging and stuff. We after every class used to be in the near by basketball court which is close to the juniors class and as usual our dean was on rounds observing us for what all we did. The bus journey at the end of the day was really fascinating there were around 15 buses of our college. We had a peculiar seating arrangement wherein every boy seated in separate seat keeping a place vacant besides him. And the reason for that is to allow junior girls to sit beside us. And the moment they come we would frame many questions and ideas in mind which we could ask them. And we used to ask them to sing some peculiar songs which were generally sung by people in the villages and rural areas.

We had a big craze for movies and we even planned to bunk some classes which were not that interesting and plan for a movie out. Of course in that village the theatres weren’t that good but still as we all were together we enjoyed even that. One day when I came back home from the college I got a strange idea to watch a movie nearby my house and no one stayed near my house so I didn’t inform my friends and just called one of my classmate Swathi to come for the movie. She accepted it and we both happily enjoyed the movie and came back. The next day in the college everyone were speaking about movies and I joined their discussion. Sainath (The tall Guy) in our group asked me what I knew about the story of a movie. And to my surprise he asked me about the movie which I saw the other day with Swathi. I just acted as if I didn’t knew anything about the movie. And everyone maintained silence as if something unknown happened. Everyone slowely started singing a song changing the lyrics of it adding the word Swathi. Then I came to know that the situation is out of my hands and everything that I did the other day is known to them. I said them that no one was near by so I had to go along with that girl. And to my bad luck no one accepted that and from that day whenever that girl used to enter the classroom or leave the class or even got up they used to shout my name loudly.

Sainath was a friend whom I never forget in my life he had an altruistic mentality which a very few would posses. He was tall and handsome and we compared him with one of the upcoming heroes in the films. He used to be very jovial and energetic always and at the same time very cautious about Acads. And to me as a friend he used to share everything even about his personal life. We both were always together all through out the day in the college and people seeing us both used to throw a strange look at us as he was very tall and me a bit thin. Day by day we all were becoming very close to each others lives. As the time passed the facial characteristics of us changed and yes even the hair of Prarathana grew from Indira Gandhi style to modern Priyanka Chopra. When I started talking to Prarthu (Prarthana) she used to respond so nicely and caringly that it made me call her again and again and immediately when I got down of my college bus I used to call her and speak to her until she reached her house. Priya who was sitting near by her used to observe everything and used to tease me when I was back to the college the next day.

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaar ur making me so involved. I was totally into it giggling all the way. Reminds me those lovely days. Nd Mr. u spelt MY NAME WRONG. Its PRARTHANA. tappu palikite naku kopam ani telusugaa...stupid!!! LOL! jes kiddin.It came out really gud..but felt part1 to be more interesting. May b coz it was brought out in a fine way. hmm common english usage to chala baaga rastunnavee...well well if u cont wid ur novel also in this way def ull b in my fav writers list after Chetan bhagat. :) 4got 2 mention...is this the end of 2nd yr...

Eagerly waiting for the next part.

pp:)

Unknown said...

thank u very much fr making me remember my memories once again , i gt so attached to u ppl , i miss u ppl,the smile is back on my face when i read this , thanks fr writing it i am eagerly waiting fr the other one , when u write the blog just post it to us , wid out saying we cant even know kada , miss u bey pulli keep writing ,padmanabam over action chesthundu kada ha h aha ha